Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hmmmm, Nov 4. What happens on Nov 4?


Today was my first time to vote. Dad and I poured over all the flyers and info we have been receiving in the mail for the past month or so plus the voter guide and Roger Hedgecock's picks. We weighed things out and came up with our best choices. So, this morning, Dad, Mom and I headed over to the polls shortly after they opened at 7AM and completely filled in the bubbles for our selections. Of course, I got the, "I Voted" sticker and put it on my shirt. I volunteered/worked at the polls my senior year of high school so things were familiar.

Last Saturday, Mom, Dad and I volunteered to pass out doorhangers to encourage voters for Prop 8 (marriage is between a man and a woman) to remember to vote. We took a section of Crest since we were somewhat familiar with Crest. Whoops - that turned out not to be true. We had the south end of Crest ( the street just north of grandma's all the way down to the south end of Crest). Some roads had no road signs as well as some houses had no addresses and one address had no house (just a chimney left from the Cedar fire). The car overheated with too much idling so we took a break at Grandma's. When it overheated again, we headed home for lunch and a rest. Then back we went. It took us about 7 hours to finish and we sure hope that this was an effective way to pass Prop 8! One lady was in her front yard when I hopped out with the doorhanger. This house was on the edge of the world where no one would ever accidentally visit! The lady looked at me and said, "I hope you are doing the right thing young man!" Then she saw it was for voting and she said she had already voted. Then she read, "Yes on 8" and called out to me, "Good, you are doing the right thing!" I'm staying home from work today as I am sick (like Mom and Dad). Do you think I'll be watching the election updates?

3 comments:

Janet said...

I'm a little behind, but I just got caught up on reading the blog posts. Great idea for helping us keep up with Brent. Now, who do I know that can post for me? :)

Janet said...

P.S. I meant to say that I voted today, too, but didn't get a sticker. When I went to the doctor today, she asked if I got my sticker--apparently you can get a free chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-a (sp?) and a free coffee at Starbucks with your sticker. As I can ingest neither, I guess I shouldn't feel too badly about not getting that sticker, but I always hate missing out on anything free. It's that cheapskate in me.

Brent said...

Thanks for reminding me that I need to take the sticker off of my shirt before it goes through the wash.